Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Turning Business Travel Into a Pleasure: The Volcanic Ash Incident

When Eyjafjallajökull erupted in 2010 and grounded all flights in Europe, I grabbed a train and headed for Paris.


In 2010, from April 15–21, the volcano Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland erupted on a much larger scale than an earlier event on March 20th. I was living in London, but at the time I was in Basel, Switzerland, on a business trip. The ash cloud from Eyjafjallajökull was so massive it shut down all air travel across Europe for several days. No one knew when flights would resume.


I was scheduled to depart Basel on the morning of Friday, April 16th, to return to London. I heard about the volcano on the news before I went to bed, and woke up to find my flight was cancelled (as well as all other flights across Europe) due to the ash cloud. I was unable to get a flight home until early the next week, if I was lucky. The situation was unpredictable. . . .



See full article on Medium:

https://medium.com/travel-memoirs/how-a-volcanic-eruption-gave-me-a-full-day-at-the-louvre-648ddcc8326f?sk=2ed3f2650926aacc2ccaf5747e7d0628

No comments:

Post a Comment